- The date has been set for the 85th Annual Academy Awards: Sunday February 24, 2013. The nominations will be announced on January 15.
- Monsieur Lahzar, one of this year's Best Foreign Language Film nominees, was the top winner at the Canadian Genie Awards, winning Best Picture and Best Director. Academy Award nominee Viggo Mortensen won Best Supporting Actor for A Dangerous Method.
- Although it's early release date could hurt it, The Hunger Games seems to be positioning itself to compete for at least some technical nominations. With a 68 on Metacritic, the adaptation of the young adult novel is breaking through being a "teenager movie" to be viewed as something a little more serious by critics.
- The Dardennes Brothers have never been able to break through with the Academy, but The Kid With the Bike has an audience-friendly 86 on Metacritic that could break that barrier.
Oscar Box Office
- The Lorax continued its quest to dominate the box office, and seems poised to take in over $200 million easily.
- The Hunger Games took in almost $20 million at its midnight opening, making it the highest grossing midnight opening for a non-sequel.
- Screenwriter Tonino Guerra died this week at the age of 92. He was nominated for 3 Academy Awards for co-writting Casanova '70, Blow-Up and Amarcord.
- Ulu Grosbard, who directed Jack Albertson to his Oscar in The Subject Was Roses, passed away. He was 83.