- At the 69th Golden Globes last weekend, The Artist proved to be the night's biggest winner, taking 3 awards including Best Picture - Comedy and Best Actor-Comedy (Jean Dujardin). The Descendants picked up 2 awards for Best Picture - Drama and Best Actor - Drama for George Clooney.
- The Academy released the nine eligible films for the Foreign Film Oscar. The eligible films are from Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Iran, Israel, Morocco, Poland and Taiwan.
- The Artist and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy led the BAFTA nominations this week with 12 and 11 nominations, respectively. The other nominees for Best Film are The Descendants, Drive and The Help.
- The Costume Designers Guild released their nominees this week. Their period nominees, which tend to be the best precursor to Oscar nominations, were The Artist, Jane Eyre, The Help, Hugo and W.E.
- The American Cinema Editors have also released their nominees.
- Hanna, Hugo, Moneyball, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Super 8 are the five nominees for the Cinema Audio Society.
There were no Oscar contenders released this week.
Oscar Box Office
- Former Best Picture nominee Beauty and the Beast proved to still be a strong force at the box office, taking in almost $18 million over the holiday weekend.
The Oscar family didn't lose any members this week.